There are three basic types of embroidery machines. Which of the three types of embroidery machines is the best embroidery machine for you depends on the specific application you will be doing.
- Free-Motion: The free-motion type is a standard sewing machine that sews in tiny zigzag movements. If you will be embroidering a unique pattern daily such as with a custom luggage business, this is the best type for you. This type gives you the freedom to create totally unique embroidery designs. However, the machine is limited by having only one needle. Therefore, every time you need a new color you have to re thread the machine.
- Digitizing Capabilities: This type of machine is used mostly in the commercial world. These machines allow for free motion and also have a memory. The memory of these machines can not only save patterns but also create them automatically. The main advantage of this type of machine is their ability to apply repeated and unique designs to a product on any day.
- Computerized Embroidery Machines: These embroidery machines can be connected to a person’s computer or laptop. This ability allows for access to a limitless number of patterns and complex designs. Having multiple needles, these machines are capable to run several colors at the same time and very quickly. In today’s digital world, most people consider this type the best embroidery machine to meet their needs.
Leading the way of all three types of embroidery machines are Singer, Brother and Janome. The best machines for use at home are Singer and Brother. Brother’s machines are known for software that is unparalleled, innovative products, the newest ideas for accessories and up-to-date features. The Brother brand offers machines to suit all budgets and skill levels.
Singer was the first to invent the zigzag machines, computerized machines and portable machines as well.
When looking for the best embroidery machine for you, the model you select should be based on your skill level, budget and the scope and size of the projects you will be doing. The following reviews of a Singer, Brother and Janome machines will help in getting you started.
|Product Name||Image||Built in-stitches||Warranty|
|Brother PE770||184||25 Years Limited|
|Singer SE300||250||25 Years Limited|
|Brother SE400||67||25 Years Limited|
|Janome 200E||25 Years Limited|
Embroidery Machine for Experts :
This Brother embroidery-only machine received a “Consumers Digest Best Buy” Consumers Digest seal. The best buy seal is given to products that the staff of Consumers Digest considers to offer the most value for a certain amount of money. This embroidery machine is rated with 4.4 stars out of 5 by 944 Amazon customers.
The features of this machine include:
- Huge 5″ x 7″ embroidery area — Ample room is provided by this machine for large lettering and monograms as well as large designs for tote bags, jacket backs and quilt squares. Designs can be combined with less rehooping.
- Backlit, easy-to-use LCD touch screen display — The 1.4″ x 2.7″ touch screen LCD display is easy-to-view. Access to editing features and sophisticated design are both easy to use and to navigate.
- 6 Lettering Fonts and 136 Built-in Embroidery Designs — You can embroider just about anything from T-shirts to home decor with this machine. Added to the 6 lettering fonts are 136 decorative designs such as intricate florals, delicate scroll work, quilt patterns as well as a number of other designs. When you are ready to add finishing touches, there are 12 styles of borders and 10 built-in frame shapes.
- Automatic Needle Threader — You will find the automatic needle threader easy to use. On the machine is a numbered diagram to follow. By following this diagram, the thread will be pushed through the eye of the needle.
- Automatic Thread Trimmer — With just the push of a button, you can cut both the lower and upper threads.
- Memory Built-in — You can import designs from a USB stick or purchase designs from iBroidery.com or other online web sites. Thousands of designs can be downloaded from www.iBroidery.com. These include Disney, Nickelodeon, Disney-Pixar as well as designs from the Brother library of designs. You can easily keep your machine up to date by downloading updates.
- Design Editing — With the editing features, you can decrease or increase the design size, create a mirror-image or rotate the design. You can see how your design looks after being edited on the LCD display before you stitch it.
- Slot for Embroidery Cards — Brother embroidery cards are sold separately. These cards provide the user with stitch designs created by Brother. The machine has a built-in slot Drop-in Bobbin — for these stitch design cards.
- Drop-in Bobbin — Installing the bobbin is simple. All you have to do is drop in the bobbin and pull the bobbin thread through the slot.
The following are included with the embroidery machine:
- Embroidery arm
- One 5” x 7” hoop for embroidery
- Accessories: needle set, seam ripper, 2 screwdriver, 3 bobbins, 3 spool caps, scissors, dust cover and cleaning brush.
- Power cord
- 25 year limited warranty
- Operation manual in English and Spanish
This slick and stylish sewing and embroidery machine has all the features making it an up-to-the-minute machine for today. This sewing and embroidery machine is rated with 4.1 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- USB stick of embroidery designs — You can easily transfer designs stored and saved to your machine.
- 250 built-in stitches and 6 alphabet — The built-in stitches include 8 basic stitches, one touch basic stitches, 7 stretch stitches, 18 satin stitches, 118 decorative stitches, 23 elongation stitches, 30 heirloom stitches, 22 quilting stitches and 14 fully-automatic buttonholes.
- Large LCD touch screen — Its touch screen makes it possible for you to adjust embroidery and sewing settings.
- Needle Threader Automatic — It only takes six seconds to thread your machine’s needle.
- Online Owner’s Class — You can learn how to use your machine with this free online class. There is a teacher available to you at all times. This class includes helpful tutorial videos on topics such as threading, installing bobbins, and presser feet training.
- Wide Work Area — Work area is 7 7/8 inches makes managing hoops and projects easier.
- Embroidery Area Extra-Large — Large embroidery designs can be accommodated by 10 1/4″ x 6″ hoop.
- 2 Sizes of Snap-On Embroidery Hoops — The inclusion of a large 10 1/4″ x 6″ embroidery hoop and a small 4″ x 4″ embroidery hoop makes a broader range of design selections possible.
- Snap-On Presser Feet — The 10 snap-on presser feet include an all-purpose foot, overcasting foot, satin stitch foot, blind hem foot, buttonhole foot with underplate, zipper foot, open toe foot, button sewing foot, and parallel sewing foot.
- Software — Software that is both downloadable and free is included.
- Universal Power Supply — 100V and 220V
- 25 year warranty
The Brother SE400 is for the budget minded person. Since this machine is a combination embroidery and sewing machine, you get the ability to do both. It provides a number of sewing features such as 98 sewing functions and 67 sewing stitches. Its embroidery capabilities include a 4 x 4 area.
The embroidery features of the SE400 include:
- A built-in library of 70 embroidery designs
- 5 lettering fonts
- 120 frame patterns
- Designs can be imported from your PC.
- In-built LCD display
- Tutorials built in
- Guide for quick start
- Impressive assortment of accessories.
If you’re looking for a machine rich with choices and affordable, this is the machine for you. This machine is a #1 Best Seller on Amazon and is rated with 4.5 stars out of 5 by 2,215 Amazon customers.
The Janome Memory Craft 200E Machine is a computerized machine. As a computerized machine, it allows you to transfer stitches and designs from your computer to the machine. It also gives you access to their software.
The features of the Janome 200E Include
- Carriage Arm Bed-Mounted – Greater stability provided by this carriage arm, and no additional embroidery attachments are needed.
- USB – Its memory key makes the transferring of designs from your computer to the memory key possible.
- Embroidery Area is Large – 5” x 5” embroidery area
- LCD Touchscreen – Being backlit, the touchscreen provides easy and clear selections of features.